Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Homemade Refried Beans

Canned food never bothered or concerned me before, like it does now. I've become more self conscious of what we eat after discovering Christian's casein and msg intolerance. 

I read labels on EVERYTHING! You should too. If you can't pronounce it or it has more than 5 ingredients-you probably shouldn't eat it. I believe very strongly that the different health issues we face today can be reversed if we watch what we put into our bodies. Ok- enough lecture. Here's te recipe for the refried beans. I only post a recipe once I have reached satisfaction with the tweaks I make. 


Refried Beans
Dry refried beans
5 Chicken Boullion cubes
1 1/2 T garlic salt (divided)
1/2 of a medium Sweet onion
1/2 C of butter
Water

-In a 5 qt. crockpot, place 2 inches (3 cups) of dry (rinsed and washed) pinto beans. Fill the crockpot nearly to to top with water

-Then add:
5 Chicken bouillon Cubes (I will eventually post the recipe for homemade bouillion cubes) 
1 Tbsp. of garlic salt
1/2 of a medium sweet onion. (Do not chop the onion, but simply place it onto the beans)

-Cook on high until the beans are soft. 

-Strain the beans, pour off excess juice......BUT SAVE ABOUT A CUP of the juice. I add the beans to my food processor along with 1/2 cup of butter (we use vegan butter) and a splash of the juice. Feel free to add as much juice as you desire, but add just a little at a time. I personally like my beans thicker. I also add about 1/2 T of garlic salt. 

If you do not have a food processor, a blender, or even a potato masher will work. When I first made these I mashed them by hand with a potato masher.

No comments:

Post a Comment