Monday, August 19, 2013

Week 9: Goals for Motherhood

So I fell a little behind last week. For some reason last week was torturous for the kids and I as they experienced their first full week of school. We were all lacking in the sleep department and had no desire to attend to homework what-so-ever.

This week is proving to be much better, however, it is only Monday! ha ha ha.

So my Goals for Motherhood are:

1. Be in the moment. As a young mother I became so busy with "tasks" that I didn't spend enough time just being in the moment and enjoying my children. I realized this a little too late. Although I never think that anything is too late.  When my children were babies I was too wrapped up in "the list" rather than just enjoying them. Perhaps some of it was because I was acting a single parent, being that my husband was deployed both times. There are moments that I cannot remember when Ashlee was a baby. It makes me really sad and regretful, I wish I could travel back in time and know what I know now. It's never too late though and I try to embrace every moment I can now.

2. Raise children with a Christian Worldview. Our world has become so full of other religions and thoughts. I would like my children to know and share with others that we are created by God, who created the world. That is the truth. Plain. Simple. We are made in his image and should try to live as Christ lived: loving others - despite their lifestyle choices or decisions they've made, being kind even when others don't return the kindness, give to others who are less fortunate.

3. Raise confident children. When I was younger I was not very confident. I followed others and their opinions. I want my children to be "set apart" and be confident in who their are, what they believe, what they value, and not let others take advantage or persuade them otherwise.

4. To let my children know that it's okay to make mistakes and I love them no matter what. As a perfectionist, I have realized that I have tried to impose the same "perfectionism" on my children. They apologize for the smallest things (especially my daughter) and I've realized that sometimes I set the standard too high. The Bible says that no one is perfect. So why do I try to be? and Why do I try to make my kids perfect? I think after discovering our son was autistic, I learned that there is no "perfect" way of doing things. We are different and unique and that is OK.


1 comment:

  1. These are great goals, love that you blog. Hope the second week is mote kind.

    ReplyDelete